Galley Health and Safety is addressed in the SMM . Galley crew and sanitation come under the leadership of the First Mate, who will complete a Galley Inspection Checklist weekly.
Anyone who handles food is required to have food safety training. For cooks, this is part of their license. Crewmen assigned as messmen must have a food handling or food safety certificate. If not, the Food Handler Training page contains online and self study options to get that training.
Information and Resources
- Cleaning and Sanitizing
- Fight Bacteria Worksheet
- Food Allergies: Food Allergy Facts & Food Allergy Quiz
- Four Steps to Food Safety – from www.foodsafety.gov
- Five Keys of Food Safety poster-World Health Organization (WHO)
- Food Handling and Storage Safety Tips (pdfs)- from www.foodsafety.gov
- Health and Hygiene on Ships– World Health Organization
- Washing Hands and Glove Use Poster
Videos & Video Sign in Sheet
(Some videos will only play audio in Firefox and Chrome. Open with Edge or Internet Explorer for video):